Entering a Nightmare [WIP] Entering a Nightmare [WIP]

I have the same trouble - if I'm writing a track it tends to get to two minutes or so before I run out of ideas for it. If a track's going to be longer than that, it comes naturally, no point forcing it.
Something I've learned is that it's better not to make a song longer just for the hell of it - but instead to focus on making the time it has as interesting as possible.

Anyyyway... on to the review. The static at the start could probably use something where it ends - either a fade out or introducing a stutter or something before it dies, and the risers from 01:32 to 01:39 could probably do with having the repeat cut out. I know that would make the track ~3 seconds shorter, but would help the flow there a bit. Sometimes less is more. :)

That said, I can't really fault the production side of things. It's not overcompressed, and the sounds aren't muddy.

Cheers,
~M

Cataclysm [RD2010] Cataclysm [RD2010]

Awesome

Very well done. Reminds me a lot of the soundtrack for 'Rollcage' - this would have been right at home there.

Wouldn't surprise me if this creeps up in a game at some point.

AlexCo responds:

Ahh yeah, I used to love rollcage. :D

Hurry! [FFVII] Hurry! [FFVII]

o_O

Heyo.

Just a few seconds in and I can already tell the Bass is too loud - it's distorting the other instruments somewhat. :S

That said, this is pretty damned close to the one used in the game - that's probably why it's scored low. Might help to mix things up a bit instead of sticking too close to the original - people will probably think you've rendered a midi from the game. Not saying you have - but it's that close.

RD2010 - Robotic Feudal System RD2010 - Robotic Feudal System

Not Bad at all...

The second touch of the snare needs to have its velocity reduced slightly - the drum loop feels a bit flat at the moment. Otherwise, nothing's really jumping out at me as a problem.

Cheers,
-M

trancedatlantic responds:

thanks for the advice, the drums are something im working with right now.

The Beauty of Simplicity The Beauty of Simplicity

I'd be curious...

I'd be curious as to how this would sound with the brass as more of a background instrument than a lead. Seems this would work a little better if it was a lot quieter and maybe panned a little right...

Yeah, Ok, so I'm an oddball like that. Just thought I'd share. :P

Dream-Katcher responds:

Thanks for sharing. Its good to hear peoples opinions. See ya, :)

STB: Project 37 STB: Project 37

Vote fairly? :S

Seems to me someone just goes around slapping a 1 on everyone for kicks. Or to keep the competition out?

Eh, anyway. Voted 5 (instead of 4) to try and bring this one up a bit. It *is* catchy, even if it's not really my style. Can't hear any jarring problems in the mix either, so bonus points for that. :)

SergeantBash responds:

Thanks for the rating, I really needed it. The 0 bombing is pretty annoying, I wish there was some way of logging who votes. I think I was a bit too much of an "outspoken opinionist" on a couple of bad songs, and someone is out to get me. :P

E10-TechShock E10-TechShock

You probably already know this...

The melody/writing's fine, but the samples consistency kills it - the pizz @ ~1 minute in and the drums most notably.

On the headphones comment - if it doesn't sound right on both headphones and speakers then somethings wrong. Most of my work's midi, but even so the rule is to listen to your tracks on at least a couple of sets of gear - you'll notice issues on one that another masks - and keep tweaking it 'til it's right on everything you've got to hand. :)

<-- Is an arse, but means well. :)

E10 responds:

Thanks for all the feedback it helps me get better!

Perish In Flame Perish In Flame

Halloween?

Not sure if it was intended. but I like the muddy feel this has at the start. The drums don't flow quite right to my ear, but industrial isn't normally my thing so I don't know if that's just me or a technical thing. If you listen to the passage from 0:23 to 0:29, it's there a touch before the :30 mark... just sounds awkward.

If it's just me then feel free to disregard. :)

-Surge Of Power- -Surge Of Power-

Nice sound...

Nice guitar sound that's for sure. Gah, I really need a more powerful rig... Midi just isn't cutting it anymore. :S

Anyway, personal whining aside, I'm guessing this was just and experiment with the sound rather than a real piece? You're doing some stuff right - having a guitar on both the right and left channels always works pretty well, but the trick is in getting them to play different lines so they play off each other. If you've got a keyboard, record the first track as normal, pan it to one side and just jam along for a few loops... you'll figure out what works and what doesn't fairly quickly. :)

The drums aren't consistent with themselves either, and lack punch, which is something you'd want to watch in a full track as well.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm being hard on you - It's not intended. There's real potential there, you just need to learn how to exploit it. :)

Chaserthewolf responds:

lol Don't worry about it. This is pretty helpful advice!

And yeah, this was basically an experiment with the instrument, rather than just making a full song.
As for the drums playing, I can't do much with them. The kick drums are unusually low for some reason even when I had it on the highest volume setting. :/ And when it comes to making drum solos/beats I'm not very good. ^^;
I'm just more focused on the guitar for some reason. lol

And thanks for your critique. I really appreciate it.

Halindir - Stream I Halindir - Stream I

Good feel...

It's got a good feel to it, nice atmosphere. The pizz/guitar probably needs to be toned down a little though - with the amount of reverb it has it could do with being a bit quieter to let the other sounds breathe some. :)

Note that I'm a nub : feel free to disagree or burn the note. :3

Halindir responds:

I shall try out your advice